A Virginia Historical Landmark, the Christ Church was
organized on October 31, 1890. The building was designed by T. Buckler Chequior, a
Baltimore architect. The church was originally painted red, due to the fact that
Mr. J. K. Taggart, an early settler of Big Stone Gap, had extra paint left from painting
his barn. It is still a tradition today for the Taggart family to give the red
paint. The altar of the church is a relic from the mid-nineteenth century Episcopal
Church is Rustburg, Virginia.
Feel free to enter. All denominations are welcome.