Interstate Car 101 was built by the Pullman
Company in 1870. This car is an excellent example of passenger car
construction in the late 19th Century. As built, it contained an
observation room, two state rooms, a dining area, facilities for the porter,
and a kitchen area.
The car was purchased, second-hand, by the Interstate Railroad company in
the early 1920's. It was used thereafter as an "official" car for the
president of the railroad and covered a great deal of the nation's rail
network in its heyday.
|In 1959, the car was retired and transported
from the Interstate's headquarters at Andover, Virginia to Dorchester Lake
on Black Creek in Wise County, Virginia for use as a hunting cabin.
Mr. Josh Taggart of Wise Coal and Coke Company was the principal owner of
the car at that time.
These properties were subsequently bought by Humphrey's Enterprises, who
donated the car to The Gap Corporation in 1988. The car was then taken
to Big Stone Gap where it was restored to its present condition. A
cover was later build over the car to protect it from the weather.
Today, the 101 car serves as the
tourist and information center. Visit the car for a tour and for
information about the many attractions in our area.